Thursday, March 29, 2012

Sour Cream Streusel Coffee Cake





I have been wanting to make this for some time now after I saw Ina making this in one of her shows. I had all the ingredients except for sour cream. Now that the much needed ingredient has finally found its way to my refrigerator, I am absolutely ready and excited.  So buckle up, here we go. J Though the name is coffee cake, there is no coffee in it.

Recipe courtesy:  Ina Garten (Barefoot contessa), www.Foodnetwork.com
Ingredients:

For cake:
1 ½ sticks butter (room temperature)
1 1/2 cup sugar
2 ½ cup cake flour (I used 1 ¼ cup All Purpose Flour and ¼ cup Corn Starch)
2 tsp Baking Powder
½ tsp Baking Soda
½ tsp salt
3 eggs
1 ½ tsp. Vanilla Extract (good vanilla J)
1 ¼ cup sour cream
For Streusel:
¼ cup dark brown sugar
½ cup flour
1 ½ tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp salt
3tbsp. butter
½ cup sliced, toasted almonds

The process:
Preheat the oven to 350 deg.F Grease and flour 7 ½ inch. Bundt pan. (I used a small pan since I also wanted some muffins out of the same batter. You can use a 10" pan)
In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt. Keep it aside.

In another bowl, take the ingredients for streusel, mentioned above and combine with your fingers. Keep aside.
In a mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.  Add the eggs, one at a time while the mixer is still running making sure each egg is combined well before adding the next egg. Add vanilla and sourcream. Mix well. Now add the flour mixture slowly, mixing in between. Don’t overbeat the batter after flour is added.

Transfer some of the batter onto the bundt pan. Smooth it out and sprinkle the streusel on top and pour more batter, smooth it out and sprinkle more streusel on top.

Bake for 60 min.

I used the remaining batter for muffins.
Note:  
Let me  remind you that all the ingredients should be at room temperature, I mean the eggs, butter and sour cream.
I used sliced almonds instead of walnuts, next time I will use walnuts.
I skipped the glaze part, since the cake is already sweat.










I am so happy I made this.  It is fluffy, soft and airy and top part is crunchy because of  the streusel, a perfect partner for my cup of tea (No, I am not having it with coffee. I shifted my loyalty from coffee to tea long time back)

Now go ahead,  enjoy your slice with a cup of coffee (or tea J)

No comments:

Post a Comment