Sunday, March 25, 2012

Apple Cinnamon 'Pielets'





Looks like the birds around here think I don’t have a clock. So they took it upon themselves to wake me, bringing all their friends along. So they give me a visit every day morning, singing and dancing, and I guess, today they were saying, ‘It is a wonderful spring day, so wake up, you sleepy head’ !!


I tried hard to ignore them covering my head with my comforter and then pillows, but then, I gave up. I put on my overcoat, still sleepy and opened the door to patio. The cool air hit me hard on face, awakening me and making me wide open my sleepy eyes. Hmm..how refreshing. Spend some time just listening and watching them, standing in my patio. My friends are right..it is indeed a beautiful day.. a perfect day for a long walk.


That is exactly what I did. I put on my walking shoes and a light jacket and went for a long walk, 1 hour each way. I should do it more often instead of hitting the gym in the morning. I focused on being present and mindful of what is happening around me and it is amazing what it does to you. It is a quiet, pleasant Sunday morning. Atmosphere is wet from yesterday’s rain. The floral aroma in the air, spring flowers all around in various colors, sprouting leaves, the colorful trees, those happy birds hopping from branch to branch ah..what an enriching experience. Spring in March feels wonderful. I wish I had my camera with me to capture this magnificent morning. But how do I capture this magic in the air. I can only feel it. I wish I could bottle it and save it for those ‘down in the dumps’ days. Let me put my allergy worries aside and take it all in.



An insatiable craving for an Apple Cinnamon Pie hit me later in the day. May be it is the ‘Fall like’ Spring day that did it. So here it is. Hmm..what do I call them..’Pielets’ I guess. My little apple cinnamon pies baked in a muffin tray. These bite size ‘pielets’ are awesome and with a generous scoop of vanilla icecream, just incredible. Here's how I made them.



Ingredients:


For Pie Crust:
All Purpose Flour: 1 1/2 cups
Salt 1/4 tsp
Butter: 1 Stick (chilled & cut into cubes)
Water:  1/3 cup chilled


For Egg wash:  1 egg beaten with a tsp of water.


For Filling:
Apples:  6 (peeled and sliced thin)
Lemon juice :  1 tbsp.
Cinnamon:  2-3 tsp
Nutmeg: pinch
Brown sugar:  1/2 cup
Flour: 2 tbsp.


Preparation:


Preheat oven to 425 deg. F.

In a blender, blend together the flour, salt and butter. Pulse few times. Add the water slowly with the machine running till the dough is formed. Transfer the dough to a floured surface. Roll and cut into circles with a cookie cutter. (2 circles per pie-bottom & top).  Chill for atleast 30 min. if the butter starts melting.
Grease a muffin tray really well. Arrange the circles onto the muffin tray (only the bottom part. while the crust is baking, keep the top part in the refrigerator) and press it lightly making sure not to tear the dough. Prick the botton with a fork so it doesn't puff up. Bake for 12-15 min. Your crust is ready.

Filling:

In a bowl, combine all the ingredients for the filling mentioned above.
Now spoon the filling into the baked crust. Take the top portion from the refrigerator and put it on the filled muffins. Press the edges gently with your finger or a fork so the juice doesn't ooze out when baking. Brush the top with egg wash. Bake at 400 deg.F for 20-22 min.

Enjoy with a generous scoop of vanilla icecream!!







No comments:

Post a Comment